Our network

Hapeville Moved Historic Christ Church (c. 1895) | Arts & Culture

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Hapeville Moved Historic Christ Church (c. 1895)

On Saturday, July 10th, the Historic Christ Church was hoisted onto beams and moved to Jess Lucas Park located at 680 S. Central Avenue. The move was executed by Roy Bishop Housemovers. The project was a joint effort of the City of Hapeville, the Hapeville Association of Tourism and Trade (HATT) and the Hapeville Historical Society.

The Historic Christ Church was located at the Depot Complex, right along the railroad tracks on South Central Avenue. The proximity to the railroad tracks had taken its toll overtime and engineers who looked at the building advised that the structure must be moved in order to save it. Movement to the park location away from the noise and vibration will ensure that the structure could be enjoyed by future generations.

Now that the move has been completed, bids will be taken to restore the church. Once renovated, the building will be operated by the Hapeville Association of Tourism and Trade and will serve as a special exhibits and events facility and be an integral part of bringing visitors to the historic downtown. It is expected that the renovations to the Historic Christ Church will be completed in the first quarter of 2011. A Transportation Efficiency (TE) grant was secured from the Georgia Department of Transportation for the restoration of the historic Hapeville train depot. The TE grant, along with the HATT match, will fund a comprehensive restoration of the building. It is expected that the plaza renovation will be completed in 2011.